Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Google is killing Google Reader

Photo from Venture Beat
Google has announced that Google Reader is shutting down.

I'm not impressed.

I've been using Google Reader on a daily basis for years. For me, it was my way of collecting my favorite education blogs in a single, simple place. Reader was never flashy, but it never needed to be. Over the years, RSS and Google Reader have become a part of my learning.


I know some people claim that social media like Twitter makes RSS obsolete. That's nice for them, but let me be crystal clear: I love Twitter but for me it does not replace Google Reader and RSS. I believe this tweet says it all:


This video describes pretty much how I feel. Careful, there are swears in the subtitles.


Ultimately, I'm left looking for an alternative. It would appear that Feedly is a potential replacement. I added their Chrome extension on my MacBook Air and their app on my iPhone. Plus, they claim that when Google Reader goes down they will seamlessly transition to their own service

I'll let you know if Feedly makes the cut.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I too have been using Google Reader daily for the last two years. It seems a part of my web life.

    Anyway, I switched to Feedly. I use it my iPhone and I love the mobile app.... not sure about the chrome extension yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up, Joe. I'll make sure to keep reading your blog regardless.

    ReplyDelete