Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Reading for the sake of reading

There were a number of comments left on my post called "Daddy, I want a book buck!" where I detailed how the school's reading incentive plan was distracting my daughter from her love for reading.

Here is a comment left by anonymous:
As a parent to an 8 year old boy who LOVES to read, I find this heartbreaking. When my son was 4, I knew so many parents who were sending their children to reading programs to ensure they learned to read early so they could be competitive with other kids when school started. I remember my husband being concerned that maybe we should be doing the same for our son, to ensure he didn't get behind. As someone who loves to read, I knew if we could capture our son's curiosity and desire to learn through reading, all the drive he needed would come from within. Whenever he expressed an interest in anything, I found a book for him on that topic. As he gets older and has more and more questions about things, we seek out the answers in books. He will sit and read for hours sometimes because he loves to read and loves what he can learn from books. Instead of reward programs for how much kids read, I would love to see a program that helps kids find books that tap into their individual interests. That is what creates a love of reading.

2 comments:

  1. This fits the adage that too much of a good thing is not necessarily good. We take the fun out of things children enjoy quickly by making it work and fitting an adult model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I have always tried to do in my classroom; connect kids to books that spark their interest. One of the best compliments I have ever received came from a graduating senior who told me, "You're the reason I read." I connected him to the Series of Unfortunate Events and the Spiderwick Chronicles, and he loved them. When a new one came in, I added it to my library and handed it to him. He did little impromptu book talks with his friends, and they all clamored for the books as well. We need to get to know our kids not their lexile scores or guided reading levels.

    ReplyDelete