Thursday, May 3, 2012

Gary Stager on Technology

Gary Stager unloads a masterful critique of technology in education:
I had an educator approach me at a conference recently to volunteer that “Our school is not ready for Google Docs.” Set aside whatever you happen to think about Google Docs; it’s a word processor in a Web browser, right? I told the tech director, “Congratulations, your school district has apparently managed to employ the last breathing mammals in the solar system incapable of using a word processor.” Isn’t it odd that technology directors are not held accountable for such failure over three decades? Could they possibly be enabling co-dependent behavior and helplessness in the teachers they are meant to lead?


1 comment:

  1. Dang, I started using Google Docs for my science class' lab reports and essays. So much easier and better than all these papers I need to grade. Way better for students to work in pairs, too. So easy to use!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete