Monday, August 8, 2011

Looking back so we can better look forward

Some people romanticize the past in a way that pays homage to their parents and teachers. For some admitting that their parents or teachers were less than the best stings like a slap to the face. Honest reflection is a foreign idea cashed in for the safety of self-justification.

For others the past is something to be condemned. They look for what went wrong followed quickly by the appointment of blame. Regret, guilt and blame consume.

Either way, the past and the people before us become things to be glorified or vilified. Either way, very little learning takes place.

I'm not interested in condemning or romanticizing the past. I want to reflect on the successes and failures from the past only so that I can always remake the best version of myself as an educator.

I'm only prepared to look backward so that it betters the vision I have when I look forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment